Friday, October 24, 2008

"Prop. 8 is Hate"

I have a vivid memory of the High School Bully rearing back and firing a basket ball overhand down the hall at the Gay Kid. I can close my eyes right now and relive it’s every detail. That was hate. I’m not naming names because that’s not the point. I had great compassion and sympathy for the victim of this crime, a side from the normal human empathy for the victim, the Bully also picked on 110 lb. geeks (which included me).

A few years later I served with a very effeminate male Marine. I didn’t ask and he never explicitly told me, but he was gay. He was not warmly welcomed into the brotherhood of warriors but he was tolerated, treated with respect.

Tolerance of those with whom you disagree, politically, religiously, morally is always preferable to violence.

This is a letter to the editor that appeared in a local paper the
Eureka Reporter

"I’m disgusted, to say the least. For the second time in a week, someone has stolen/destroyed my neighbors’ “Yes on Prop 8” sign in their front yard. I’ve personally had my magnetic “Support Our Troops” decals stolen from the tailgate of my truck, and my truck “keyed” along the back quarter panel. Does this mean that the liberal left has resorted to this kind of behavior?
Here’s my view of what seems to be going on throughout our county. Acts of vandalism, destruction of private property — if you don’t agree with the liberal left, suffer the consequences.
As I drive around our county, I see yards with Obama, No on Prop 8, Mike Thompson, Peace not War, or Chesbro signs that have not been vandalized. Does this mean the liberal left is composed of bigots and the conservative right is tolerant? Whatever happened to freedom of speech?"

Free speech is constitutionally protected. At least it was the last time I checked.

This is from another local paper the Times Standard

“The Trinity Baptist Church in Arcata is the polling place for about 600 voters from two precincts.
But for months, church officials have proudly displayed “Yes on Proposition 8” signs on church property. Until Saturday, in fact, the church's marquee displayed the message: “God loves you. Protect marriage.”
But that message, along with several dozen small signs, fell victim Saturday to what seems to be an escalating battle between the two sides. Someone used brown spray paint to scrawl “8 is hate” across the church's sign, causing about $300 in damage.
Pastor John McCain -- who goes by Larry -- said he is within his legal rights to display that message, even through election day, since the sign is located more than 100 feet from the church's entrance.”

Radio reports indicate that a church worker was confronted and told that if any more “Yes on Prop 8” signs went up they would be torn down also. That is physical intimidation of your political opponents.

Proposition 8 defines marriage as between one man and one woman. My opinion is that it is necessary because I do not wish to have morals being decided by the government. Children were taught about gay sex when I was in High School so education is not an issue. What people who oppose Prop. 8 are seeking is a government endorsement of the homosexual lifestyle. Plain and simple.

2 comments:

Reuven said...

Those "NO ON 8" athiests are sneaky! TO counteract this, Tactical Syntax has some great banner ads. It's a shame our crazy opposition has to lie.

Steevesna said...

Reuven,

I'm appalled at the intolerance shown by people who purport to want tolerance. I attended a support the troops ralley in Bellvue, WA. There were about 3,000 people there who were respectfully waving flags. Three cops were eating donuts and coffee purchased by the "Protesters." 500 Peace protestors gather in Seattle and it requires 200 cops in riot gear to keep them from burning cars and bashing windows. Thanks for you comment.